Orthopedic surgeons specialize in treating conditions that affect your movement and mobility. They help patients become healthy, move freely, and stay active and pain-free. Anyone, from professional athletes to those with chronic illnesses, can benefit from visiting an orthopedic surgeon.
An orthopedic surgeon’s impact on your health reflects on how they can:
Diagnose and Screen Musculoskeletal Issues to Allow for Prompt Treatment
Orthopedic surgeons are trained in diagnosing orthopedic conditions, or any condition that affects your bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. They can identify the source of your pain through physical exams and additional tests.
Common orthopedic conditions they can help with include:
- Osteoarthritis – where the cartilage, a protective tissue that cushions the joints, wears away
- Fractures – a break in one or more bones caused by trauma
- Sprains – damage to the ligaments that connect two bones together
- Rheumatoid arthritis – leads to pain, inflammation, stiffness, and swelling in the affected joints
- Tendonitis – inflammation of the tendons, which are fibrous cords that connect muscles to bones
- Meniscus tear – a tear in the rubbery cartilage that cushions and stabilizes the knee joint
- Osteonecrosis – a condition where bone tissue dies due to poor blood supply
Apart from screening for these conditions, your orthopedic surgeon can also monitor your health for significant changes.
Proper diagnosis allows your orthopedic surgeon to create a tailored treatment plan to relieve symptoms.
Provide Personalized Treatment for a Speedy and Safe Recovery
Your orthopedic surgeon will consider your condition, symptoms, age, lifestyle, and preferences. Then, they will create a personalized treatment plan based on these factors.
Your orthopedic surgeon can prescribe:
- Medications – prescription and over-the-counter medications to reduce symptoms
- Physical therapy – exercises that target the affected area and strengthen the surrounding muscles
- Injections – corticosteroid injections to reduce inflammation
- Surgery – minimally invasive or open surgery to remove damaged tissue, repair fractures, and replace parts of the joint
- Rehabilitation – a comprehensive recovery plan that includes physical therapy, lifestyle modifications, and other treatments
Offer Support and Advice to Help You Stay Healthy
Your orthopedic surgeon can offer support and personalized advice for your health by educating you about:
- Lifestyle modifications such as exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, and managing stress
- Tips to prevent injuries such as proper body mechanics and wearing protective gear when playing sports
- Advice on pain management such as using heat and cold therapy, stretching, and relaxation techniques
Aside from the physical effects of an orthopedic surgeon’s treatment, they can also have a profound impact on your mental health.
Help You Manage Chronic Orthopedic Conditions
Orthopedic surgeons are trained and experienced in managing chronic conditions. These include:
- Bursitis – inflammation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac cushioning bones, and tendons
- Tendinopathy – degenerative changes in the tendon caused by aging, overuse, or injury
- Osteoporosis – where bones become thin and brittle due to a decrease in their density
Chronic orthopedic conditions require ongoing management and care. Your doctor can create a plan to help you manage your symptoms and live normally.
Choosing the Right Orthopedic Surgeon
You need to find an orthopedic surgeon with experience in treating your condition. They often pursue specializations, such as knee surgery, so you should pick a doctor with a suitable specialty.
For example, do you have hip pain? Do you suffer from severe knee arthritis? If so, you want to find a surgeon specializing in hip and knee conditions.
- Look for a doctor certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Read reviews and get recommendations from your family, friends, and other healthcare providers
- Schedule a consultation with the orthopedic surgeon to get a better feel for their expertise and approach
When you visit them, be sure to ask questions like:
- How have you handled similar conditions before?
- What approach would you take for my condition?
- What types of treatment are available?
Gauge your comfort level with the orthopedic surgeon. After all, they will be involved in your treatment and recovery.
Do they listen to your concerns? Do they welcome your questions and answer them accordingly? Are they compassionate and empathic to your condition?
The Best Orthopedic Surgeon Near You in Raleigh, Apex, & Durham, NC
Your orthopedic surgeon can be your trusted partner in caring for your health. They can diagnose and screen conditions and provide personalized treatment options. They can guide you in staying healthy and managing chronic conditions. But you need to find the right orthopedic surgeon for your injury or disease. They will have the expertise, training, and experience to help you become healthier.
Searching for the best orthopedic surgeon near you in North Carolina? Look no further than Dr. Brett Gilbert, at EmergeOrtho. He is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and will make sure you get the orthopedic care you deserve. Call our friendly staff today at (919) 788-8797 so we can assist you best. You can request an appointment with Dr. Gilbert using our appointment request form, or you can self-schedule your appointment here.
We look forward to being your expert orthopedic partner for your health!